520.666 Information Extraction from Speech and Text
MWF 1:30-2:45 PM in Hackerman 320
MyLastName at jhu dot edu
Wed 2:45-4:00 (by appointment; call x6-4237)
Guoguo Chen and Yuan Cao
See their web pages.
Hackerman 322 and 225 respectively.
Tuesday and Friday afternoons, by appointment.
Textbook and Reference Material
- Frederick Jelinek, Statistical Methods for Speech Recognition, The MIT
Press, Cambridge, MA; London, England,1997 (second printing 1999)
- Selected articles from archival journals, conference proceedings, etc.
Homework and Programming Projects
Homework assignments and projects will be posted here throughout the
semester. Check here frequently!
- Homework #01: Due Feb 09, 2015: PDF file and data-set for Problem 3
- Homework #02: Due Feb 16, 2015: PDF file
- Homework #03: Due Feb 23, 2015: PDF file
- Project #1: Due Mar 02, 2015: PDF file, text A, and text B.
- Homework #04: Due Mar 02, 2015: PDF file
- Homework #05: Due Mar 09, 2015: PDF file
- Project #2: Due Mar 23, 2015: PDF file, Data (gzipped tar file).
- Homework #06: Due Mar 23, 2015: PDF file
- Homework #06: Due Apr 03, 2015: PDF file
About 40% of your total grade will be based on homework (~ 4% each), and 10%, 30% and 20% respectively on the three programming projects. There will be no midterm or final exam in this course.
An Important Note on Academic Ethics:
The strength of the university depends on academic and personal
integrity. In this course, you must be honest and truthful.
Ethical violations include cheating on exams, plagiarism, reuse of
assignments, improper use of the Internet and electronic
devices, unauthorized collaboration, alteration of graded assignments,
forgery and falsification, lying, facilitating academic dishonesty,
and unfair competition. Report any violations you witness to the
instructor. You may consult the associate dean of students and/or the
chairman of the Ethics Board beforehand. See the guide on Academic
Ethics for Undergraduates and the Ethics Board web site for more information.
Old Homeworks (Spring 2013)
- Homework #01: Due Feb 05, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #02: Due Feb 14, 2013: PDF file and data-set for Problem 2
- Homework #03: Due Feb 21, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #04: Due Mar 05, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #05: Due Mar 12, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #06: Due Mar 26, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #07: Due Apr 04, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #08: Due Apr 11, 2013: PDF file (Nothing needs to be turned in.)
- Homework #09: Due Apr 18, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #10: Due Apr 25, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #11: Due May 02, 2013: PDF file
- Homework #12: Due May 16, 2013: PDF file
Old Projects (Spring 2013)